Painting the Oil Portrait: From Julius Caesar to the Self-Portrait
Course Availability Update
Dec. 19, 2010: 5 places remain for each section.
Painting the Oil Portrait is designed for those who have never painted a portrait before… but have always wanted to learn. This course addresses the following principles: universal proportions of the head, scale, composition, edge, color value, color temperature and the modeling of paint to create a three-dimensional form on a two-dimensional surface. The subjects are a bust of Julius Caesar and you (yes, a self-portrait).
Visit this page to view student work from the Spring of 2010.
- Level: Beginners
- Medium: Oil on Canvas
- Number of Students: max 5
- Language: English and Italian
- Sede: Via Cardinale Merry del Val, 18 presso La Bottega dell’Artista (zona Trastevere)
Duration – Time – Cost
Two different sections of this course are offered:
|Corse 1: |
|Number of Lessons||10 lessons of 2 hours||10 lessons of 3 hours|
|Day and Time||Every Monday |
from 17:00 alle 19:00
from 11:00 alle 14:00
|Start and End Date||From January 31st to April 4th 2011||From February 5th to April 9th 2011|
|Cost||€280,00 + Materials*||€360,00 + Materials*|
The list of materials will be published by mid-January, 2011, but the following is an idea of what will be used:
- – Paper: Rives BFK, 1 sheet;
- – Paper: Graphite, 1 sheet;
- – Paper: Tracing, 1 sheet;
- – Cretacolor 4b graphite pencil
- – 2 Linen Canvases 30 cm x 40 cm;
- – 5 brushes: 2 JF bull hair, 2 hog bristle, 1 sable Da Vinci. I also recommend a bamboo brush holder;
- – Palette and medium dish (double dish with plastic tops);
- – Schmincke Mussini oil paints: ivory black, titanium white, ultramarine blue, burnt sienna, raw umber, yellow ochre, vermilion red tone, alizarine, naples yellow.
Before taking this course, here’s what you need to know:
- 1. 40% of the cost guarantees your place, the remaining 60% is to be paid the week before the start of the course. The cost is non-refundable. If you should not be able to continue the course after starting, the best solution is to find someone to take your place.
- 2. There are no “make up classes.” If you miss a lesson, you miss a lesson.
To sign up or to ask further information, please fill out the form below or call either of the following numbers: 347.2631033 or 340.5600356.
Other courses that may be of interest for Spring 2011:
[contact-form 12 “2011 Spring English”]
Loved the drawing/art course brochure. Sign me up!!