About the Masterclass
For the third time in three years, the Painting & Drawing Art Studio of Rome is delighted to welcome back Charles Weed!
The four-day masterclass will run from Tuesday, April 9th to Friday April 12th, 2019 and will be comprised of an intensive drawing class in the morning and a plein air painting course in the afternoon.
For those wishing to participate, there are three options:
- Option 1: Drawing in the morning only: limited to 5 participants.
- Option 2: Drawing in the morning & painting en plein air in the afternoon.
- Option 3: Painting en plein air in the afternoon only: limited to a total of 12 participants.
- Option 1: €370 + Iva (€451.40): Drawing Only. A non-refundable deposit of €170 + Iva is due at the time of registration; the remaining €200 + Iva is due at the start of the first lesson.
- Option 2: €670 + Iva (€817.40): Both Drawing and Painting. A non-refundable deposit of €270 + Iva is due at the time of registration; the remaining €400 + Iva is due at the start of the first lesson.
- Option 3: €300 + Iva (€366.00): Painting Only. A non-refundable deposit of €100 + Iva is due at the time of registration; the remaining €200 + Iva is due at the start of the first lesson.
Drawing in the Morning
Time: 10:30 – 13:30
“Our morning will be spent in the studio; we will be drawing from plaster casts in charcoal on white paper. For anyone without a prolonged previous training in drawing this will provide an opportunity to address the most fundamental aspects of drawing: proportions, angles, shapes, contours, edges, etc., without the added elements of color and movement.
Exactly how all of the great artists of the past absorbed these things is open to discussion, but clearly they understood them.
There’s no point in starting further down the line of understanding, regardless of the duration of any course of study.
Without such a basis, however acquired, much of the language of Nature remains indecipherable; talent and creative drive notwithstanding.
Enrollment will be limited, as each student will require sufficient space to assess their work.
There will be demonstrations.”
Materials for Drawing
- Canson Mi.- teinte, white
- At least 24 sticks of VINE charcoal, NOT willow
- A much Kneaded Gum Eraser
- Sanding block
Painting in the Afternoon
Time: 15:00 – 18:00
“Our afternoon of painting will be spent outdoors, near the studio, observing effects of light color and distance.
Compositional structure, aerial and linear perspective and relative chromes and values will be discussed.
There will be demonstrations.”
Materials for Painting
- A palette made of wood; large
- Palette cups
- Linseed oil
- Brushes: A selection of Hog Bristles and good SMALL sables_Round.
- OIL primed canvas: Claessens or hand primed. NOT ACRTYLIC OR “UNIVERSAL”or proper gessoed panels.
- A Hat
- Oil Colors: Old HOLLAND or Hand Ground. Or Michael Harding
- White. Preferably Lead, don’t worry, you’re not going to die,(from the lead) and Yes, you can buy it. NOT Titanium please, only because I won’t be able to work on your painting, as I’m not used to its properties. But perhaps you might prefer that. so….
- Ivory Black
- Ultramarine (French)
- Cobalt blue
- Cad red Light or scarlet, or Vermillion
- Cad yellow light
- Venetian or English red
- Yellow ochre Light
- Naples Yellow Genuine (Optional)
- Chrome oxide green
- Transparent oxide red
Please note that we can provide you with the paints needed during the Masterclass for an additional cost of €30 (please choose this option during the registration process).
Questions Before You Register?
Click here to contact us
Registrations are now closed
Sign up to our mailing list and we will keep you posted on future events and workshops