About the Workshop
The workshop will address two kinds of landscape painting:
- A Two-Day Planned Painting (First drawing, then painting), with a focus on scale, composition, light and layering of transparent paint.
- A One-Day “alla Prima” painting, with a focus on a wet-into-wet technique and the use of a limited palette.
This workshop is open to painters of ALL levels. One-to-one instruction will be tailored to each participant’s ability and interest.
The weekend workshop will take place on site at the medieval mountaintop fortress known as Rocca Calascio in the Apennine mountains in Abruzzo.
How to Get There
Rocca Calascio is located in Abruzzo. For directions on how best to arrive, please visit the Rifugio della Rocca website.
Friday, June 12
18:00 – 19:30: Reception
20:00 – 21:00: Dinner
21:00 – 21:45: Evening Presentation
Saturday, June 13
7:30 – 8:30: Breakfast
9:00 – 12:30: Morning Painting: Part I of a two-day painting
13:00 – 14:00: Lunch
14:00 – 15:00: Rest!
15:30 – 19:30: Evening Painting: Landscape alla Prima
20:00 – 21:00: Dinner
21:00: A look at the day’s work
Sunday, June 14
7:30 – 8:30: Breakfast
9:00 – 13:00: Morning Painting: Part II of a two-day painting
13:30 – 14:30: Lunch
15:00: Final review of work
Terms and Conditions
A minimum of six total participants is required for the workshop to run. Once we have received interest from six people I will contact each of them to coordinate the deposits for the workshop. A deposit of 30% of the cost is required and is non-refundable in the event any last-minute changes preclude participation. In addition:
- All participants are responsible for transportation to and from Rocca Calascio.
- The remainder of the total fee is due upon arrival at Rocca Calascio.
How to Sign Up
Please fill out the form below. Registration deadline: May 15th.
Cost & Accommodations
We will stay at a hotel called the Rifugio della Rocca, literally located in the shadow of the fortress. A workshop fee of €200 includes presentations, instruction and critiques. However, the total cost of the workshop depends on your preferred sleeping arrangement. You can choose from the following:
- Single: €245 + €200 (Workshop Fee)
Total Cost for 1: €445
- Double: €330 + €400 (Workshop Fee for 2)
Total Cost for 2: €730
- Triple: €450 + €600 (Workshop Fee for 3)
Total Cost for 3: €1050
- Apartment (Four People): €575 + €800 (Workshop Fee for 4)
Total Cost for 4: €1,375
If you don’t mind sharing a dormitory space (large room with 16 beds), you can also opt for the following:
- Bed in dormitory: €130 + €200 (Workshop Fee)
Total Cost per Person in Dormitory: €330
Note: All meals indicated in the program are included in the cost.
Materials are not included, however, the following can be provided for an additional cost of €120.
- Two canvases or two wood panels
- Oil Paint
- Linseed Oil
- 8 Brushes: 4 bull hair + 4 hog hair, various sizes
The following materials must be brought by the participant:
- Canvases or Wood Panels
- Portable easel
- Medium holder (one that clips to the palette)
- Umbrella (BIG! In case it should rain… or if the sun is strong!)
- Rain Jacket (we paint, rain or shine!)
Watch Our Video from 2013
Latest News from A.P.S. PADASOR
- Intensive Workshop with Charles Weed: April 24 – 28, 2023 January 8, 2023
- The Art of the Finish: from Theory to Practice September 22, 2022
- PADASOR in Romeing Magazine July 1, 2022
- Caravaggio and ‘Cabinet Making’ April 16, 2022
- Presenting PADASOR: the New Online Atelier of the Painting and Drawing Art Studio of Rome January 20, 2021
- Learn Oil Painting Online with Interactive Lessons May 5, 2020
- Masterclass in Drawing with Charles Weed: May 4-7, 2020 January 24, 2020
- Renaissance Retreat Highlights from October 2019 November 17, 2019
- The Fundamentals – A Gallery of Student Work September 18, 2019
Register for Upcoming Courses
Learn Online – Recent Courses
- Course Preview – The Art of the Finish: from Theory to Practice August 19, 2022
- Course Preview – Examining Velázquez: a Painting Expedition December 26, 2021
- Past Masters Annotated: Rembrandt August 24, 2021
News from TJA
- Effie December 12, 2022
- The Venetian November 19, 2022
- Together We Art: an Upcoming Exhibition and Silent Auction for the Life Project 4 Youth October 9, 2022
- Painting the Portrait in Oil from Life at The American University of Rome October 5, 2022
- Induction into the Woodford County Public Schools Hall of Fame October 4, 2022
- Late Morning Light in Villa Borghese September 9, 2022
- In the Studio, June 2022 September 9, 2022